For 95 percent of your business, it’s best to put your heroes in the graveyard.
Sam is a hero. She probably lives in your organization. She’s the one that “gets things done.”
Product not getting shipped? Sam is the one on the dock.
Work not getting done on time in the drafting room? Sam has uncanny ability to pitch in and get things over the goal line.
Individuals not delivering their work packages on time in general? Sam will step in, re-cast the process, lay out for the pass, and ensure that the deadline is met.
Sam knows–or at least is known by–the CEO. Sam has made a living out of making her bosses look great. The people around Sam may not like Sam that much because of how hard Sam works and/or how much Sam pitches in to do their job, but the reality is that Sam has probably saved them from being fired countless times.
Sam delivers. Sam is a hero.
And, in 95 percent of businesses that I know, the need for Sam’s heroism is a problem.
Because heroism makes for good beer-drinking stories and for really awful business. It covers up for bad processes. It lulls bosses into a false sense of security because “we are always on time” when, in reality, processes are broken, and people are left in tatters by the heroic culture.
It also creates single points of failure. That is, if the hero gets hit by the proverbial bus, the entire system reverts to chaos. Chaos is not good. Your best bet in building a strategically sound business is to eliminate chaos where humanly possible. And, that means (oddly enough) eliminating heroism–the ultimate cover for chaos. I believe that to be possible in about 95 percent of business processes. The other 5%? Those are where we all deal with uncontrollable variables like last minute changes in customer preferences or mercurial executives. For those, I love heroes.
For the rest? Use your heroes as indicators of opportunity, not as indicators of success. Know that an effort at the strategic renewal of your company through thoughtful planning and strategic focus should be a place where heroes go to die.
But beware, because the Sams of the world can turn toxic when it comes to putting a bullet in heroism. In general, heroes really hate business improvement. Heroes like Sam often (not always) create job security and ego-stroking visibility through their ability to lay out for the pass. Heroes often hate it when processes are re-evaluated. They are the first to bring up terms like bureaucracy and waste of time. They are the ones who (rightfully) will focus everyone around them on the results, but when everyone around them stops to say “let’s fix the process,” they might say “no thanks, I’m going to go get some more results.” Sam may be rightfully focused on results (I applaud her), but she may also be protecting a virtual fiefdom of heroism when it comes to opting out of the nearer term process fix.
That, my friends, is ultimately not scalable. And, that can be toxic. Sam’s a hero, but toxic Sam is merely another form of a high-performing corporate narcissist.
My advice? If your heroes live anywhere outside of sales or otherwise in direct interactions with your customer, find a way to put them in the graveyard. In your strategic efforts, take them to the place where heroes go to die.
What do you think?